Best Option

Find the right accountancy solution for your requirements

If you would like to find out more information about expenses then you may find these pages helpful:

If you are working through your own limited company then you are entitled to receive tax relief on any costs that are incurred solely and exclusively for the running of your business, in the way of business expenses. As expenses are exempt from tax, claiming expenses correctly could affect your tax bill and may even increase your take home pay.

To help you make the most of the expenses that you are entitled to we have put together our top ten most common expenses that you as a limited company director are eligible to claim.

1. Advertising, marketing and PR  

To run a successful business you need to make sure that your customers know about your products or services, which is where advertising, marketing and PR comes in.

This may be a one off cost or an ongoing charge and as long as the service is exclusively for your business then the cost could be classed as an expense.

2. Accommodation

If a business trip requires you to stay overnight away from your permanent address then the accommodation costs could be claimed as an expense. In situations like this you may also be able to claim for the cost of your food and drink.

3. Bank Charges

Any bank charges that you incur on your business accounts such as credit card fees and loan interest are classed as business expenses.

4. Childcare

Childcare costs are not deemed to be directly related to the running of your business and so cannot be claimed as an expense.

As a director of a limited company you are able to claim tax relief on childcare costs in the form of childcare vouchers up to the value of £243 per month. Childcare vouchers will be paid out of your gross salary not your net salary.

In autumn 2015 the government are introducing a new scheme aimed at making it easier for parents to handle their childcare costs. For every 80p that a parent puts into the scheme the government will provide an extra 20p up to a maximum of £10,000 per year.

5. Home office

If you work from home you could be able to claim a proportion of your household costs and utility bills as expenses.

The cost could be claimed as a rate of £4 per week, or through working out the proportion of the overall costs that have been used for business purposes. This amount is calculated by looking at the number of rooms in your property, the number of rooms that are used for business purposes and the percentage of time that those rooms are used for work.

6. Pensions

Pension contributions are classed as personal allowances. Many limited company owners will use a HMRC approved pension scheme, which means that they could pay less corporation tax.

7. Professional fees

The two main examples of professional fees are accountancy and legal costs. These charges could be claimed as an expense as long as they are exclusively for the running of your business.

8. Telephone bill

If your mobile phone contract is in your company name and used solely for business use then the entire bill could be claimed as a business expense.

In the case that your mobile phone is ‘pay as you go’ and used exclusively for work then you could expense all the credit amount that you top up.

If you have a personal mobile phone contract then you will be required to separate the calls and texts that are for business and for personal use. This to ensure that you only expense business-related costs.

Additionally, you also may be able to claim the proportion of your home phone line rental that has been used for business calls.

If you work from home and are required to upgrade your package then this additional cost can be claimed as an expense.

9. Training courses

Training courses could be accepted as expenses if the training course in question furthers your understanding and skills in the area that you work in and is seen as being essential to your job.

Some courses may be deemed not relevant to your business, so it is always best to check with your accountant that the course you wish to study is eligible.

10. Travel

Whatever form of transport you use for business trips, you could claim the costs incurred as travel expenses.

If you travel by public transport then the cost of your fare may be claimed back through your company.

If you travel by car then you could claim mileage of 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles travelled and then 25p per mile thereafter. You also may be able to claim the cost of parking your car, toll fees and congestion charges as travel expenses.

Those who travel by motorcycle could be able to claim 24p per mile and those who choose the more environmentally friendly option of cycling may claim 20p per mile.

It can be confusing to know what you can and cannot claim as an expense. Make sure that you discuss all expenses with your accountant to ensure that all of you expense claims are valid.

For more information take a look at our expense pages below:

Need help finding the right accountancy solution for your requirements?

Answer the questions below for our recommendation.

Do you: (select the first that applies)
Please select an option